Wednesday 28 November 2012

I Submit

I tried to be sensible. Responding to a challenge set by a 7 and a half year old and his rather naughty grandmother is not the ideal way to make such a big decision, so I've taken a full month to think about it. I've talked to friends and family and people who really should know better, and no-one has talked me out of it. No-one even tried. Even when I mentioned it to my manager, who has done one herself and knows how much work it's going to be, she didn't bat an eyelid. I told her I was trying to decide, and she said "You don't have to do it, but I think we all know you're going to, and you'll love it."

In earlier entries to this blog, I predicted that 2013 would be the year, and despite leaving the idea as a sketch, never making serious plans about it, and just seeing what happened, it now seems like a solid inevitability.

When I saw the route and read the technical details a few days ago, it hit me like a punch to the gut and another wall of my reasoned defences fell down, leaving me almost ready to decide but still holding out for common sense to step in and bring me back to Earth.

After completing 100 miles of races in 2012 at the Abbey Dash on 18th November, I've managed 10 whole days without a run. I was itching to get out after 2 days. Only the fact that I've been immensely enjoying meeting up with old friends, eating out, drinking, and seeing some great music, and have therefore not really been in the best condition first thing the next day has kept me from acting on the urge. This morning, day 10 after the last race, I went out for a pleasant little trot in the early winter morning, just a poke around my usual 5k route.

When I came back, I realised the decision has been made. I've found a plan on Runkeeper. I start 4 months of planned out training on 7th January.

For some reason, I was overcome with emotion. Floods of tears escaped before I could stop them, and I'm unsure whether they were tears of pride or relief. I imaging this is what it feels like for someone religious to submit to the will of God. My religion is running, and I know I'm going to do it. I will be a marathon runner.

I'm doing the Greater Manchester Marathon on 28th April 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment