Friday 18 February 2011

Warm Up

There's plenty of reasons why I wanted to get back to running, not least that I've put on 3 stone in 3 years since I ran in the 2007 Cancer Research UK 10k. I've been meaning to get back to it for months now, but couldn't fit in training around my work as a photographer. So at each morning networking or client consultation meeting I attended, I'd sit there eating biscuits and drinking coffee, but all the time, I knew I hadn't gone running and was watching the pounds add on. When we got rid of the studio and started working from home, I decided now was the time.

I've always told myself that I'd get back to it, but what's made me sign up for the races now is that recently my beautiful nephews have lost their only other aunty to a very quick, nasty cancer, and I want to raise money to say thank-you to a charity that provided information and advice, and has helped my fantastic sister-in-law so much through her sister's illness. The work Macmillan does really makes a difference, and it's so simple to help them. I have no excuses left.

I'll be doing 5 running events between now and November, I'm using a training plan I've used before and which I'm hoping will help me lose the weight and reach run fitness. I'll keep this blog updated with my progress.

I'm ridiculously proud and excited to be running in the Jane Tomlinson Run For All in Leeds on the 19th June. Jane is one of my heroes, and a true Yorkshire lass in the best sense of her bravery, stubborn determination, and ability to just get on with it. It'll be a very emotional experience for me to complete this race, but it won't be the end of my running season. I want to do 2 5k and 3 10k races, and I'm looking at my options and the timings to spread them out between now and November.

I'm looking forward to it, but I need your sponsorship to keep me motivated! Please click on my Just Giving page and give whatever you can. Sponsor me for one or all of the events, sponsor me to lose the extra weight, pound by pound, or even to get in across the finish line within my target time of 1hr and 10mins. You could even just donate through my page in memory of someone you've lost, or in thanks for Macmillan's help. Cancer affects so many people. My runs will be dedicated to Sadie Legard and Kim Langdale, both of whom lost brief and vicious battles with different cancers, and both were far too young.

Do it for any reason, but just sponsor me!


No comments:

Post a Comment